I’m running google chrome on FreeBSD, part 2

After some more testing and googling i found some hints in the Wine AppDB. Apparently i needed some DLL’s from microsoft and some extra arguments for wine to get further. To get the DLL’s use winetricks and winetricks need cabextract so install that first.

So this is what got me further down the road to a working chrome on FreeBSD:

% su
#cd /usr/ports/archivers/cabextract
# make install
# exit
% rehash
% wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks
% sh ./winetricks riched20 riched30
% wine "$HOME/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/$USER/Local Settings/Application
        Data/Google/Chrome/Application/chrome.exe" --new-http --in-process-plugins"

Now i managed to go to www.slashdot.org and got past the first redirect (That sends you to slahdot.org) and slashdot started to render before chrome crashed.

chrome running on FreeBSD, crash after  starting to render slashdot.org

chrome running on FreeBSD, crash after starting to render slashdot.org

From the output of wine it seems like there is some issues with locking that isn’t implemented in wine yet, but i’ll start digging into that and see where where i will end up. The next thing to try is to test different FreeBSD threading libraries and see what that can do for us.

I’ll keep you posted when more info is available, so keep an eye on my RSS-feed.

  1. 1 Trackback(s)

  2. Sep 4, 2008: Running Google Chrome on FreeBSD | FreeBSD - the unknown Giant

Post a Comment